Tuesday, July 3, 2012

30 Day Blog Challenge: Day 2

"Something You Feel Strongly About"

Wow. There are a lot of topics I can discuss forever, but I have to pick one. Since it came up in conversation today, I'm going to pick "Motorcycles".
No I don't want to discuss the specs and logistics. I want to discuss motorcycle riders. Now don't get me wrong. I love motorcycles. I think people who ride them are fascinating. One thing stands out in my mind though.. Death. It seems to be happening more and more that motorcyclists are dying on the roads. A lot of articles pin the blame on whoever was driving the car that hit the motorcycle.
But is it always the car-driver's fault?
A few weeks ago, I was on my way to a chiropractor appointment. I saw a motorcycle behind me, riding my tail. I was all the way over in the left lane on the expressway. Since he was traveling so close, I became nervous. If I had to stop short for any reason, he would face plant against my back window. There was a car to the right of me so I was going to pull ahead of that car then into the right lane so the motorcycle guy could pass me. I started to do just that. At the same time, the guy sped up and was coming up in between the two cars, mine and the one to the right. I screamed and jerked my truck back into the left lane.
My heart was pounding. I could have killed him!
He flipped me off as he drove past and I got mad. How dare he! I was going to let him pass, but instead he goes and does something stupid, then flips ME off? Yup.
This was not the first and not even the last time I have witnessed this type of behavior with motorcyclists. Yes, we should be looking in our mirrors to check for motorcycles, but in turn, the people riding them need to be responsible enough to stop doing anything stupid.
Responsible driving is EVERY driver's concern, no matter what vehicle they are operating!

No comments:

Post a Comment