Wednesday, July 4, 2012

30 Day Blog Challenge: Day 3

"A Book You Love"

I love to read! I really do. I have read so many good books, it's hard to pick just one. I have more of a "favorites list" than only one. One book that stands out in my mind (and prominently on my shelf as a matter of fact) is Shel Silverstein's "The Giving Tree".
Yes, I am well aware it is technically a kid's book, but the message is for everyone;
LOVE KNOWS NO BOUNDS!
There is nothing the tree would not do for the boy. She gave and gave until she thought she had nothing left. When she was but a stump, she offered herself as a chair. When I first read the book, I got a little agitated with the boy. Every single time I read the book, I would think "What a selfish ass! He just uses the tree and doesn't even bother to visit or anything when he doesn't need anything."
The older I got, the more I identified with the tree. The boy's happiness was always temporary and he always returned to the tree, whom he knew he could trust. Sometimes, we give and give and receive nothing in return. It's in my nature to help people. Sometimes, it comes at a price (whether monetary or a bit of sanity at the moment) but I am always willing to give helping out a shot. At times, I feel like a tree full of apples and there is plenty for everyone. Other times, I feel like a stump. I re-read this story all the time and realize that some people are like the boy and some are like the tree: the givers of this world and the takers.
I prefer being a tree, thank you very much :)

No comments:

Post a Comment